Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Let's get started!

Last Class we learned about the Kuleshov effect which is a tool that you ca n use to give an audience the impression that you want by flashing back and forth between scenes. I think that this will be particularly helpful in our movie project with such random clips. I am very excited about the extra time, I think that the extra week will allow for a lot more creativity, and the Kuleshov effect might allow me to create more of a story than just a series of “rushed” and “nightmarish” clips.


The section about cinematography was especially interesting. I’ve never really thought about angles and shots to evoke certain emotions. Having watched movies during our snow days I am starting to notice things! How certain things can accentuate size or somebodies perspective. It is really interesting to notice certain things and wonder what the artist was trying to portray.


I think a lot of these techniques will be useful in our own videos. I think that seeing all of the different aspects and parts of a film come together to create one movie will be a really fun and interesting experience. I am also ready to play around with primitive lighting equipment and seeing how we fare. I think the techniques that we will be able to utilize the most is messing around with lighting and camera angles to create our mood. I also think that the transitions and thing like the Kuleshov effect will be fairly easy to incorporate. I think that the camera settings are going to be the most difficult to get down because off all the different settings that go into making the image look “right”.

Things like deep focuses and other more advanced tricks will be difficult for amateurs to pull off.


I think the purposes for using certain techniques can only be revealed when we decide what kind of movie we are making. Dark, dreary, high contrast lighting and a dutch tilt might evoke fear in a horror movie. Or inserts of smiles or handholding might signify romance blossoming in a love story. I love these little snippets in movies that allow the viewer to keep up with where things are going in the movie. Whatever my team decides to do, I think that with editing software and a good cameraman, these techniques will enhance our movie. I can’t wait to get started and see what everyone comes up with.


1 comment:

  1. You'll have to keep it simple, of course, but I believe that with good choices and collaboration, you can pull off something you'll be proud of.

    ReplyDelete