Monday, February 22, 2010

the spider.

Screenwriting. I think this will prove to be the biggest obstacle for me as far as projects go. I think that being able to evoke certain emotions through a screenplay is amazing. I really enjoy movies that evoke emotions. I think it is an art how screenwriters, directors and sound crews can work together to create something so effective. It no doubt, is a meticulous well thought out masterpiece, where more than one artist can showcase their talents to a common goal.


Hearing Eric dumb every story ever to just four concepts (goal, action, conflict, reaction) has blown my mind. I was sitting in class for the rest of the time trying to think of a movie that it didn't hold true for. There are so many different genres of movies with very intricate and exuberant plots. to think that they all have the same four basic principles is stupefying. From romance movies like The Notebook, to intense movies like Fight Club, there is always that cycle present.


I really enjoyed the Spider film, I really wanted to do an indie or horror film after seeing it. If you weren’t paying attention in class or haven’t seen it watch it. I think that Comedy should be a fun one to shoot. Especially with all of the random aspects he is asking us to incorporate ( skulls, cheese grater, guitar, mime and a few corny lines) I feel bad for some of the other groups, incorporating random stuff into their genre. I’m interested to see how all of the groups incorporate them. It will also be neat to see how the four concepts will be consolidated into a 5 minute film. This is going to be so cool!


I am definitely looking forward to watching the movie next week, I am gonna try really hard to watch it through my new filmmaking educated lens. I hope I can do it, it’s really hard for me to walk the lie between noticing things, and becoming so detached I lose the entertainment value of the movie. I do find myself noticing a cool shot, or effect and wonder how it was done. Maybe this is a sign that I am well on my way to being able to noticing symbolism in the movie the first time around!!


Writing our screenplays in the coming week should be an engaging exercise. I hope people in my group have a good sense of humor!

2 comments:

  1. Comedy should be really exciting! I liked the Spider film as well. I really was not expecting things to turn out like that at all, but it just shows what you can do on a low budget with a couple camera tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curse you and your comedy. That's what I wanted. What place is there for a mime in a drama, anyway?
    "Spider" was really interesting, even if the last scene did make me sick. It's a good example of how you can make a compelling film with just a few locations and a small cast.

    ReplyDelete