Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Scary Mary

Last class period began with a guest. Corey Womack made a video for his senior thesis project. It was really helpful to see a movie already made. I think it put into perspective how much work we were going to have to put into our own projects. He worked on his movie The Last Summer for 2 years and it was only about 15 minutes long. Ours only have to be five minutes, but we don’t have NEARLY as much time. It should be really neat to see what everyone puts together. I liked seeing Corey’s work, but I think it intimidated me because of all the work he put into it.


So far our group has been having a dreadful time trying to get schedules to match up. We have yet to meet with everyone outside of class even once. I’m sure it will be easier once it’s all shot, and I only have to work with a few other people with sound and editing.


We also watched a lot of short little films on youtube. These gave me a lot of ideas that we could have used in our film. I really wish we could have seen more before we did all of the screenwriting. I think that It would have been more helpful at the front end. We saw how important editing can be when making a movie. We saw Scary Mary where clips from a children's movie where edited to look like a horror movie. We also saw an advertisement for The Shining which is a horror film based on a Steven King novel it was changed to seem like a heartwarming family film. It also demonstrated how music can affect a movie. As the sound person for my group, It was exciting and intimidating to see how big of a difference sound made.


My films footage is due next week, I am getting really nervous that we all haven’t met together yet. I hope it works out and we can agree on the direction to take our ideas. I think that it will be a challenge, but a god one. I just hope everyone has been doing their part. I’m excited about having another movie night this week. Hopefully we will get out early enough to catch part of Livestock which is a fundraiser the Honors College is doing to support Heifer Ranch. A lot of local UCA bands will be playing.


1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about our film. We have a great script put together, I'm just nervous about the final product. We each have our own crazy schedule so there's no telling when we'll be filming. I'm also the sound editor so I know how you're feeling. I've never done anything with sound, so I'm pretty nervous. I hope everything will turn out great for the both of us!

    ReplyDelete