Monday, January 18, 2010

First Impressions

Embarrassingly when I was a little girl I remember being super annoyed at my mother when she wanted to watch a black and white film on our family television. For some reason it was not worth watching to me because it was made before color televisions, and color televisions were (OBVIOUSLY) cooler. Nowadays when I think about my favorite childhood movies I can’t help but think they are primitive in comparison with the animated films that are coming out now. Several of the movies that I think of as being the Disney "classics" are in 2d animation; many animated by hand. When we look at modern movies like "Up" or "Avatar" they are far more aesthetically appealing because of the shapes and the depth to the pictures. (not to mention many you can actually watch in 3D). I have a very ardent appreciation for my disney princess movies, but I can’t help but be exceedingly jealous of the kids that grew up in the era of 3D.

Needless to say, I have since become a lover of all movies, as long as there is a good story line. However, until class on Thursday, I never really thought about all of the work and art that goes behind them. Like many of the students in my class I was adamant about thinking people in a train station was not that interesting. Let’s face it people would not pay money today to go see that in a theatre. It’s only when I think about the novelty and newness of it that I understand how truly fascinating that must have been. Just like a black and white movie to a seven year old who has experienced color is boring; a train unloading to a group of college students who have watched movies with intricate plot lines, is boring. But without the prior experiences moving picture for the first time was probably like us watching a Bluray or 3D movie for the first time, maybe even cooler.

I’m really excited about film class. Like some of my peers have mentioned in their blogs, I have never been a huge follower of actors and actresses in movies. I have always kind of made a conscious effort not to think about it during the movie so I can get sucked into the story, and follow more intently. I do hope however I can gain knowledge about the art behind producing a film. I also am really excited about making a short film. I really hope my children someday don’t snub their noses up at Snow White because her picture is too flat.


5 comments:

  1. Well lucky for your children they are reproducing some of the classics in bluray, that will be grand!

    I wish hidden camera shows would come become popular again. It is an amazing thing to watch people who do not know they are being watched.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I enjoy all of the new movies with their incredible computer-generated effects, I think a part of me is still glad that I didn't grow up with it. Kids growing up around all of the fast-paced technology now honestly kind of scares me. I remember BEGGING my mom for a cell phone when I was in 7th and 8th grade. Now my friend's little sister, who is in 3rd grade, has an iPhone. Seriously? That phone is more expensive than mine!...

    Anyway, to say the least, I'm glad we can all still appreciate how awesome those 2D Disney movies of the 90's really were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just posted this on one of your classmates' blogs, but I'll say it again: Just because something is old doesn't mean it's outdated. Cel animation is a different technology than computer animation. I'm glad it's on the way back at Disney, thanks to John Lasseter (the man who led the computer animation revolution). I understand the "black and white, ugh, why?" reaction -- had it myself as a kid -- but really, it's just another mode of presentation. It's not inherently worse or better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still a huge fan of the classic 2D Disney movies. I don't think I'd be the same person without Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, and The Little Mermaid. Those movies teach children to dream, and dream big.

    My mom was never a big movie watcher, so I haven't really seen any of the classics. I'm actually pretty excited about this class because of the classic movies we'll be watching. I'm hoping I'll learn to love watching a movie in black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And a random side note, I love the title of your blog. I'm pretty sure it's my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete