Monday, January 25, 2010

squishy skulls and walnuts.


Last weeks class ended up being immensely enjoyable. I’d fancy being on a sound crew for our big projects! How cool is it to have a job that involves looking at something and deciding what said image should sound like. Who knew that an absurd amount of skulls falling on top of each other sounded oddly similar to an absurd amount of walnuts being swooshed around in fabric? Or giant spider roars could be produced via horses being “milked”, Tasmanian Devils, and squishy skull toys. (so freaking cool!)

I have always had the notion that the Director of a movie was a guy who shot the camera and told everyone what to do on set. I have never really thought about all of the artistic elements that went into a single shot. Peter Jackson, in the Lord of The Rings movie went so much further than a simple storyboard. He built a scale model of set pieces in order to get exact angles for his storyboard, he then had an artist redraw them. After all of that he worked with an animation studio and cartooned the movie out in order to see how scenes would look. I had no idea that so much had gone into the movie, but it really makes a huge difference with the movie and how “epic” everything seemed to be. I never thought I would hear myself say this.... but I think I want to rent the Lord of the Rings trilogy. anyone game?

As well as the Directors part the documentary allowed us to see how everyone worked together. It is extraordinary to think of so many people agreeing on so much stuff. I can’t imagine so many artists wanting their visions to be expressed. I know how stubborn I can be when I think things should be done a certain way. I suppose they are used to it. I guess this is something I will be overcoming in the near future with our projects.

PS: After last class I have come to realize I am the only one on the planet who has not seen Avatar. If there are any more lonely souls who feel the same way we should form a coalition and go together. Yes Mariam, I am talking to you.

3 comments:

  1. Since most of the people in honors are closet (or obvious) nerds, I don't really think you would have trouble tracking down a copy of the LOTR trilogy. I can't be the only one around here that has a copy :D. I do agree that you and Mariam are probably two of two people on campus that haven't seen Avatar. You should work on changing that. Don't go 3-D though, unless it's IMAX. Regular 3-D just ends up giving you a big headache.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heartily endorse LotR viewing and AVATAR road-tripping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sound editing captivated me too! That might be the last thing people think about when it comes to making movies, but its so interesting and essential to the movie... Let me know when you watch LotR...I haven't seen it either and I'm very intrigued after watching the behind the scenes footage.

    ReplyDelete